Saturday, March 25, 2023

Dome P2

Minoru Hayashi founded the Dome company in 1975, his intent being to design and build both road and racing cars. Hayashi already ran Hayashi Racing in Osaka which was a prosperous aftermarket supplier for street and competition cars. The company decided that they should do a showcase concept car, and the Dome Zero was the result, shown at Geneva in 1978. This car was the successor- P2, shown at the Auto Expo Los Angeles.

Trying to describe it, it definitely shows signs of being derived from the sharp-angled show cars of a decade earlier, ie Lancia Stratos 0, Maserati Boomerang or Ferrari Modulo, the windshield could be left over from a Lancia Stratos. But still a sharp=looking car that probably wouldn't be out of place at a car show today.


Road and Track, Sept.1979

 

3 comments:

Dave said...

I remember that car from Road & Track. I was 15 and really wanted one. I think I might have assembled a plastic model of it, and it was that pea-lime green.

JP said...

I remember breaking the piggy bank for the only thing Sratos within my
reach: the Vitaloni helmet. Remember those ?

Mister G said...

Vitaloni is a new name to me. there are some on ebay. :-)
The Stratos is still amazing. I've been looking for a specific picture of one for a post.