Friday, May 2, 2014

We used to make things in this country. #150: Flaherty Manufacturing Company, Hamilton, Ontario





Other than they made a "Lucky Lou" line of tackle boxes, I can find absolutely no information on this company.

I can say that their toolboxes were very well made.  I've never seen another metal one made with bullnose corners (which used to be commonly found on old wooden machinist's chests).

Mr. Gradwell, who offered a comment below, has suggested that the toolbox is strikingly similar to one manufactured by the Union Steel Chest Corporation of Le Roy, New York.  (See his discussion and photos on the Garage Gazette.)   The Union "Super Steel" box is certainly very similar in overall design, toggle catches, and bullnose corner guards, although the handle is different.  Perhaps Union and Flaherty had a relationship of some sort?  

Below, a photo of a Flaherty tackle box and a large toolbox submitted by Mr. Gradwell:




13 comments:

lbgradwell said...

I've never been able to find information on this company either...
But I will observe that the box you have pictured bears striking similarities to what has been ID'ed as an old Union Steel box that was available at Canadian Tire in the early 1950s...
I'd be happy to email you some photos if you wish.

The Duke said...

I would very much appreciate seeing the photos you mention. If you would be so kind as to email them to Mister G, he can forward them to me.

Anonymous said...

i have a garden hose reel with a Flaherty manufacturing label on it. I would say that it would be fairly old.

ponderous said...

This is my grandfather's company. He died a few years back. I only have a few items he made, I'm looking for more.

ponderous said...

This is my grandfather's company. He died a few years back. I only have a few items he made, I'm looking for more.

Curt Wheeler said...

Mr Flaherty started the company after serving in the 2nd world war. I think his son Joe ran it into the early 1990s or so before it closed. I went to school with Bill Flaherty. Wonderful family!

Mister G said...

Thanks for the notes, anything we can find adds to this vanishing history.

Gino Angeli said...

I have a No. 100 hose reel made by the company. It looks old but also cannot find anything on it. Can anyone help?

Mister G said...

Hi Gino, Sorry can't help with details but if you send me some pictures I'll add them to the post! gerald@vanwyngaarden.ca

Anonymous said...

Worked there one summer. Well run facility Hamilton proud. Amazing operation, manufactured the tool boxes and caulking guns, painted them and shipped them all on site Wellington St factory. Next to Moose Lodge I believe.

Anonymous said...

I worked there in the early 90’s as a press operator, spot welder and painter. This was Not long before it closed and if I remember Bob Sears owned the company and Joe jr was the foreman near the end. When I left there were about 9 employees left. Most of the flaherty boys at one point worked there and all were good men just the pay was low. Competition with plastic tool boxes and powder coating systems made the company obsolete as they could not keep up or make it as cheap as they were sold. One of their biggest customers was Canadian Tire and they worked into making specialty boxes for companies like Bosch

Unknown said...

I have a Lucky Lou Line metal tackle box

Anonymous said...

I have a Lucky Lou Line tackle box made by your grandfather's company! It's in very good condition considering that it's 60 or seventy years old! Just awesome quality! I even have one of the original keys to lock it!