CNR #7070 First Diesel Electric Switcher Built in Canada
Queen University Archives.
This locomotive rolling chassis was completed at CLC Kingston in 1929, whereupon it was taken down to Westinghouse Canada in Hamilton for engine and electrics. The engine was a 6 cylinder Beardmore design license-built by Westinghouse. Referred to as a "visibility cab" unit, it was a departure from the usual boxcab style of the time.The locomotive worked mostly out of Montreal and later provided backup at the Gananoque spur till it was leased to Canada Starch from 1962-66. Along the way a Caterpillar engine replaced the Beardmore/Westinghouse. It now resides at the Delson Railway Museum.
Post a Comment