Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Sterling tongue and groove pliers


This is another antique market find, a set of ordinary tongue and groove (channellocks to you and I) made by a company named Sterling. The spelling of Chrom -- Vanadium might indicate a European manufacturer, but the only thing I found online was this Australian company
Update: (see comments) Well, I made the 120km trip (each way) back to the antique market, purchased the things, after a good solvent bath and some vigorous wirebrushing I see you guys are absolutely right. It's not two dashes, it's a hidden "E". So, we used to make things- in Australia?



4 comments:

Dave said...

It almost looks like the first small "dash" adjacent to the "M" in "Chrom" might be part of an "E" that got lost in translation (or maybe "corrected" by a European toolmaker).

Mister G said...

I wondered about that, and you might be right, but what's the next dash for? I only took the one picture, I may have to go back and buy the thing!

Dave said...

If the first, slightly shorter dash is fact part of an "E" then the second dash would match the size and position of the dash on the other handle. So it would be "CHROME - VANADIUM" and "STERLING - GUARANTEED" the dashes being simply for style.

Mister G said...

You're absolutely right! Post updated...