|George Abdill; A Locomotive Engineers Album, Bonanza Books 1965|
This somewhat odd looking locomotive was constructed in 1880 for fast passenger service between New York City and Philadelphia for a subsidiary of the Philadelphia and Reading railroad, the Delaware and Bound Brook Railroad. Although the locomotive worked well for its purpose with its wide Wooten firebox and tall drivers, it was returned to Baldwin when the company ran into financial difficulties.
It was then shipped to England as an Eames Vacuum Brake Company system demonstrator and was later acquired by England's Great Northern Railway. Eventually it was scrapped but the bell was saved for the time bell at the Hornsby shops and has been preserved.
In order to increase adhesion for starting, the locomotive was equipped with a novel steam-powered mechanical system for increasing weight on the drivers.
Post a Comment