Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Bottom Swage



I picked up this swage at a yard sale last summer. Below, from the Cyclopedia of Modern Shop Practice (Chicago:  American Technical Society, 1907):

The bottom swage is designed to fit into the hardie (or hardy) hole in an anvil.  Below, more from the Cyclopedia:



In my neck of the woods, I've heard the round "spud hole" referred to as a "pintel hole."  Below, also called a "Pritchel hole."
The Village Smithy Tools and Processes.  Rideau Valley Conservation Authority, 1980's.
I love the way that anvil weight is measured. Interestingly, in this 1907 American book, they use the British "long" or Imperial hundredweight (cwt. -- centum weight) of 112 pounds (or 8 stone) rather than the "short" hundredweight or "cental" of 100 pounds more commonly used in the U.S. and Canada.

Below, more anvil tools:

Hubbard Cobb (Editor).  The Complete Home Handyman's Guide.  New York:  William H. Wise & Co., 1949.
Below, some blacksmith-made tools I've collected: two hammer-heads, a screwdriver, a C-clamp and a wrench.  It never ceases to amaze me what these guys could make from scratch!





No comments: