|Omer Lavallee; Van Horne's Road, Railfare Books 1974|
The Northwestern Coal and Navigation Company was set up in 1883 to haul coal from mines at Lethbridge to Medicine Hat on the South Saskatchewan River. Someone hadn't done their homework and it was soon discovered that the river was really only navigable during spring runoff. Here a soon-to-be extraneous sternwheeler is under construction at Medicine Hat Alberta. In the background is the new temporary CPR trestle.