|Photographs from the Camp Borden Museum|
Sunday, March 16, 2014
Hangars at Camp Borden
We visited the museums at Camp Borden today and discovered a couple of rows of old hangars like the one shown. They were built as temporary facilities in 1917 for the Royal Flying Corps training program. After the war they became home to the fledging Canadian Air Force which became the Royal Canadian Air Force in 1924. During WW2 they housed the Camp Borden portion of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan. Of the original 15 hangars built, 8 remain today and are designated a National Historic Site. One of them houses the air force portion of the museum. The wooden roof trusses are interesting, the reinforcing built as a latticework.