Friday, November 26, 2021

wrench detectives

Some good quality wrenches used to be produced without the makers name anywhere on it, this little 5 inch box end just gives the sizes.  In the center it used to say Made in Canada- a little info to go on anyway. Another possible clue, the 1-2 and 9-16 is not a typical format of writing fractions. 

 Time went by and while cleaning another very old socket find, it was noted that Gray used to use the same format. So, until we can find different, we'll say it is an old Gray wrench- or does anyone have other ideas?
 


1 comment:

Dave said...

I'm leaning more toward it's a wrench that was included with some piece of equipment or farm implement, maybe part of a factory-supplied tool kit, and that's how their old draughtsman wrote fractions or they only had a "dash" for their embosser.

I did look through my wrenches, and the only dash-fractions I found were on some old Thorsen "Speed-Hed" combination wrenches but I don't think that sheds any light on the subject (those wrenches are also marked with millimeter-equivalents and on Alloy Artifacts I see both dash and slash fractions on those same wrenches).