John S. Saxton of Baldwin Park, California patented this unusual clamp in 1955.
In his patent application, he explained:
"The average clamp usually has its operating members so related that the clamp is not easily positioned on work of different forms. The present clamp incorporates a thrust screw at all times so moving the jaws as to avoid the work and not be impeded in its movement by the work. A small clamp of the present invention is capable of securing work between the jaws with a maximum compression and regardless of the position of the jaws.
An object of the invention is the provision of a clamp which is easily applied to work, of few parts, of great strength, foolproof in operation, and generally superior to clamps now known to the inventor."Advantages claimed for his clamp are that (1) the floating jaws always stay parallel; (2) it possesses a cantilever clamping action; (3) the jaws incorporate built-in "V" block for holding round stock.
Saxton sold the patent in the 50's and was paid royalties until the patent expired. The clamp is now made by the Clamp Manufacturing Company of South El Monte, California which bought the previous firm in 1972. The company is family owned and its products are still made in the U.S.A. While the Saxton name is gone, the Kant-Twist name is still in use.