Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Vanished tool makers: Heart Brand Tools (Wynn, Timmins & Co. Ltd., Birmingham, England)

1951
1929


Above, from Grace's Guide.  I stumbled across this firm while looking for something else entirely.  I've never encountered any actual tools made by this manufacturer, so it's another thing to look for.

On the top ad, around their trademark, it reads "Established prior to 1702."  The original company, W. & C. Wynn & Co., had made small steel items including shoe and knee buckles, fire-steels, key rings, netting vices, steel snuffboxes, steel pencil cases, tweezers, bodkins, and so on.  They then moved on to the production of light tools. They celebrated their centenary in 1887, naming their relatively new premises "Century Works."  The same year, they took over R. Timmins & Sons.  According to Grace's Guide, they were acquired in 1969 by Balfour and Darwins, and the Birmingham factory was shuttered.  Arthur Balfour had merged with the Darwins Group in 1961.  That combined company was metal making firm, so it's hard to say what they intended to do with an old tool-making firm like Wynn, Timmins & Co.  Apparently nothing.

Sell's National Directory of Large Commercial Houses and Buyers' Guide.  London:  Business Dictionaries Ltd., 1920.

Update Jan 2024. I understand the company Smith Francis is still making some of the tools, Norman Smith used to work at Wynn Timmins in the 1920s I believe. He then set up a new firm with Mr. Francis in 1933/1934. They still make the nail puller & it's sold worldwide as the Priory brand.

7 comments:

ClockworK said...

Hi
I bought a small hatchet from a boot sale recently , cost 50p. After cleaning the head I have found the inscription " R.Timmins & Son ".
Vance

Viera Jorge said...

Hola, adquirí recientemente unas tenazas y observándola me percaté de que es marca Wynn Timmins 🙂

Mister G said...

¡Por favor envíe un par de jpegs!

Anonymous said...


My 90 year-old mother was Secretary to Geoffrey Wynn in the 1950s. She loved working for him. He gave her an oak coffee table when she married my father in 1952. She still has it.

Mister G said...

Thanks for the personal note!

Anonymous said...

My family still make some of these tools. My grandfather used to work at Wynn Timmins in the 1920s I believe. Norman Smith then set up a new firm with Mr Francis in 1933/ 1934. They still make the nail pulley & it's sold worldwide as the priory brand. See Smith Francis Tools for more info. I'm Richard Smith a grandson of the founder

Mister G said...

Thanks for the input, and for that information, I'll add it to the post. Much appreciated.