Thursday, March 14, 2013

We used to make things in this country. #29: Staroba Industrial Research Co. Ltd., Toronto, Ontario



A lovely little vernier height gauge I picked up recently.  First time I've ever seen a precision measuring instrument made in Canada.  (In another of those spooky coincidences, it turns out that Mister G also owns one of these, acquired many years ago!)  The only info I can find on the web is a forum where a member was seeking information on vernier caliper made by this company, and someone ventured that the company was around in the 1950's.  Gone now.


3 comments:

Mister G said...

Although The Duke's height gauge is Imperial, mine is metric and came in the original wooden box. The box had an Avro company label when I got it 25 odd years ago.

Anonymous said...

I have one too, how much is it worth?

Mister G said...

I think I paid $20 or 30 or so for mine twenty years ago at a surplus store...