Marsland began as a teenage hobby of Stanley Marsland, playing around with the new area of radio electronics. Self-taught, Marsland's company went on to become the largest industrial employer in Waterloo by the 1960's. In addition to Marsland Engineering Ltd., he also founded Canada Alloy Castings Ltd. He opened the Marsland Centre shortly before retiring in 1974. His businesses sold sophisticated electronic equipment, navigational aids and military equipment to NATO countries in Europe. His own laboratories also developed products for the growing audio-visual market, making electronic components for radios and televisions. With 1400 employees, Marsland Engineering became a major supplier to such companies as North Electric and IBM before the company was sold in 1969
Marsland received the Confederation Medal for his outstanding contribution to Canadian industry in 1967 and two years later he was appointed the director of the Royal Canadian Mint. After retiring in 1974, he moved to Bermuda. Marsland died in 1988 after a ten year battle with Alzheimer’s disease.